Blackfish Engineering Summer Internship Competition 2020
Your ideas could win you an internship with Blackfish Engineering!
Blackfish Engineering Design Ltd is an engineering design house with a focus on offshore renewable energy projects. This year we are running a competition, offering the chance for an engineering student to join us for a summer placement!
In order to enter the competition, we would like to see your ideas that that solve the challenges the offshore renewable industry faces. For example:
- Increasing component, sub-system and overall system efficiency & reliability is a key driver for present tidal turbines.
- Wave energy converter design needs to allow for operation in both high and low wave states without damage to the device, large mass implications or large loss in efficiency.
- Offshore wind faces many installation and maintenance challenges including the transfer and replacement of large and heavy components in offshore conditions.
- Wind and tidal turbines use largely composite blade structures, these materials do not lend themselves to being easily recycled – how could they be broken down/recycled/reused in the most efficient manner?
These are just a few areas to get your creative juices flowing, we are open to ideas from across a wide spectrum of renewables in all areas from foundations, to control logic, modelling approaches, materials, decommissioning, maintenance strategies and tooling.
The candidates submitting the top three ideas will be invited for interview to discuss the concept presented. Following the interview process a winner will be decided. The winner will receive a paid summer internship (~10 weeks) with Blackfish Engineering. During this placement you will work with the experienced team at Blackfish Engineering to develop your skills and your idea with our support. This work could include CAD modelling, loads and performance analysis, market research activities, small scale testing, business case development and much more.
In order to be in with a chance of winning you will need to answer the following questions:
- What problem/challenge is your idea addressing?
- Outline your concept
- What is the potential market impact?
- What are the biggest obstacles in the development and realisation of this concept?
Contact Blackfish Engineering via email@example.com with the subject “BFCOMP2020” to express your interest in the competition and receive the entry form.
Closing date 31/03/2020
Terms and conditions
- These terms and conditions apply to all competitions featured in any publications and online services that are organised by Blackfish Engineering Design Limited (“Blackfish Engineering”) (or a third party on Blackfish Engineering’s behalf).
- By entering a competition, entrants accept these terms and conditions together with any specific instructions and terms for such competition which may be mentioned in any electronic messages, or on the website, or communicated to entrants in any other way (“competition information”). Such competition information shall prevail in the event of there being any inconsistency between these competition terms and conditions and any competition information.
- Blackfish Engineering may cancel or amend any competition, competition information, or these terms and conditions without prior notice. Any changes will be posted either within the competition information or these terms and conditions
- The competition is open to all residents of the United Kingdom, i.e. England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, and Wales. For the avoidance of doubt, Jersey, Guernsey, and the Isle of Man are not part of the United Kingdom for these purposes. Blackfish Engineering may ask competition winners for proof of UK residency and if a competition winner is unable to prove their residency to Blackfish Engineering’s satisfaction (i.e. prove that they are physically present in the UK for 183 days or more in the previous or current UK tax year), Blackfish Engineering reserves the right to select an alternative winner.
- The opening and closing dates and times for entries are as indicated in the competition information. Any entries received before the opening and after the closing of the competition will be invalid and will not be entered into the competition.
- By entering the competition entrants warrant that all information submitted by them is true, current, and complete. Entrants also warrant that they are the copyright owners of any copyright works submitted, e.g. photographs and drawings, and Blackfish’s use of such works (which you will permit) will not infringe the rights of any third party.
- Only one entry per person to the competition is permitted. Any additional submissions after the first, will not be considered in the competition.
- Entry to the competition is to be made by emailing your completed submission form to firstname.lastname@example.org before the competition closing date.
- Blackfish Engineering will not accept responsibility or liability for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft, destruction, alteration of, or unauthorised access to entries, or entries lost or delayed whether or not arising during operation or transmission as a result of server functions (including but not limited to security functions by software used by Blackfish Engineering or any third party), virus, bugs, or other causes outside its control.
- Blackfish Engineering will not be liable to reimburse expenses incurred in making an entry in any competition.
- The prize is as specified in the competition information.
- Blackfish Engineering are solely responsible for the selection of a winner. The decision of Blackfish Engineering is final and irrevocable.
- All background intellectual property rights shall remain the property of the owner and the entrant hereby grants to Blackfish Engineering a royalty free, non-exclusive, non-terminable, sub-licensable licence to use the entrant’s background intellectual property.
- By entering this competition, the entrant transfers ownership of all arising intellectual property in the development of a submission to Blackfish Engineering Design Limited.
- Blackfish Engineering (or any third party nominated by Blackfish Engineering) may exercise its sole discretion to use the winner’s name, and image and their comments relating to the prize and competition experience for future promotional, marketing and publicity purposes in any media worldwide without notice or without any fee being paid.